I have come to the realisation over the past few months that I would count patience with cards as one of my real hobbies. It’s not just something I do when the fancy strikes me: it’s something I look forward to doing, it’s something I hunt out old books describing, it’s something my girlfriend bought me two packs of patience cards for my birthday for.
So, if you’re similarly a fan – get in touch! And if you’re yet to be, let this be a good starting point.
You’ll need pretty much a complete pack of cards, though you’ll only use half.
- Take from a pack of cards all of the black cards; similarly take six of the red cards – these can be any value, though I tend to use each of the red court cards. Shuffle these together and set the rest of the cards aside.
- The aim of the game is to pile all of the black cards into the foundation, represented by the vertical green pile in the image above.
- The red cards represent blocking cards; if these would be dealt into the seven tableau piles, deal the red card face down. Red cards are never dealt into the foundation.
- At the beginning of the game, deal seven cards in the shape of the horizontal tableau piles shown in the image above. If you deal a red card at the beginning of the game, turn it face down and deal another card on top.
- After you have dealt your seven piles, deal next card to the central, vertical pile. This is the foundation.
- The remaining cards form the stock. You will be allowed to deal through this twice during the course of the game.
- The foundation is built by counting upwards, regardless of suit. A complete foundation will have Ace to King twice over — after the King, the next card is an Ace.
- You can move any card from the tableau to the top of the foundation; empty tableau cards are filled from the top of the waste pile, or from the remaining stock if the waste pile is empty.
- If you cannot make a move, deal one card from the stock to a single waste pile. You may move cards from the top of the waste pile onto the foundation. If a tableau space becomes empty, move the top card of the waste pile into that space (if the card is red, place it face down).
- If you run out of cards in the stock, turn the waste pile over without shuffling & assume this is the new stock. You only deal through the stock twice!